Rice announces support for ROTC

Professor Condoleezza Rice recently announced her support for the “full reinstatement” of the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) at Stanford.

Her support came in the form of a letter co-signed by former Secretary of State and Hoover fellow George Shultz on Jan. 27. The letter was addressed to the ad hoc committee currently investigating the issue and was made public to The Daily today.

Rice announces support for ROTC
(The Stanford Daily File Photo)

“Given the complexities of the threats we face and the missions we demand of our military in the twenty-first century, this is an appropriate and necessary time for the Faculty Senate to restore ROTC programs to Stanford’s campus,” the letter stated. “We can think of no better way to prepare future servicemen and women—many of whom will become national leaders—than by enriching them with a Stanford education.”

This showing of support comes is the latest development in the ongoing debate surrounding ROTC. Several petitions about the issue began circulating among the student body last week.

When asked if the committee had any response to the letter, chair Ewart Thomas, professor of psychology, declined to comment.

“The committee is in ‘retreat’ so that we can figure out what should be done,” he wrote in an e-mail to The Daily.

Stanford Students for Queer Liberation (SSQL) recently released a petition in conjunction with the National Marriage Boycott (NMB) opposing the recognition of ROTC, citing violation of Stanford’s nondiscrimination policy because the military does not currently allow transgender people to serve. A counter petition in support of the program was initiated earlier this week.

The ad hoc committee is expected to report its findings to the Faculty Senate in May.

Rice_Shultz_Letter_ROTC