For High Schoolers: The Fall 2021 Tech Bootcamp

Calling All High School Students:

Apply to The Daily’s 7-Week, All-Remote Fall Tech Bootcamp!

Click here to access the application (don’t worry, it’s short!). 

Deadline to Apply: September 20 at 11:59 p.m. PT.

The Stanford Daily is offering its 7-week all-remote Tech Bootcamp again this fall, open to high school students interested in web and software development for news media! No coding experience is required. All you need to participate is access to a computer with an Internet connection — any software or tools we will use are freely available. It is okay to participate in The Daily’s bootcamp and other extracurriculars concurrently, as you can shape your own schedule in our program. 

Over the course of the 7-week program, participants will develop an understanding of how web development is integrated into modern-day newsrooms, including: 

• How to set up your own coding environment
  • How The Daily’s own website and mobile apps are organized and operated
  • Intro to common web development tools, HTML & CSS, JavaScript
  • How to create beautiful data visualizations and interactives using Flourish
  • Overview of basic programming logic and techniques
  • How programming is being used at publications today
  • How our data/tech teams work with editorial to enhance coverage
  • How bias manifests in journalism tech and how it can be addressed
  • What working in software development can look like
  • Intro to common development tools like git, github, the command line
  • How to host a website on the internet
  • What the heck terms like frontend, backend, react, express, mongo, node, npm, yarn (and many more!) actually mean

This is a paid program with full and partial need-based aid offered to all accepted applicants under an honor system (see below for more detail).

Students will engage in focused weekly projects leading up to a final hackathon that spans the last few weeks of the program, wherein students will be encouraged to team up on larger projects using the skills they’ve learned along the way. By the end of the program, students will have set up their own website that (if they want!) anyone in the world can visit, and will be equipped to continue developing sites independently.

We immerse participants in the experience through a dedicated Slack workspace where communication is regular, as instructors guide participants through their work individually on a day-to-day basis. Our work is complemented by social activities: We want you to have the opportunity to connect with fellow participants and Daily staffers!

This is an introductory-level course led by our Chief Technology Officer and BizTech Editor, alongside project leaders on The Daily’s Tech and Data Visualization teams. Members of The Daily’s tech team have held prior positions with the software engineering teams at The Washington Post, The L.A. Times, and Google, and come equipped with backgrounds in computer science and statistics. 

Participants will be expected to put in at least seven hours of work each week, but they can work as many hours as they’d like, as our instructors are always on call to help with participants’ projects. 

So, what does a typical week look like?

Each week, we host weekend workshops with lecture material that will form the basis of a focused weekly project. Following each weekend workshop, participants meet in small groups with their assigned section leaders for an activity-based review of lecture topics. Participants will meet with their section leaders in separate one-on-one meetings each week as well. There are also optional weekday guest webinars featuring professionals from the field. 

Our instructors are on call throughout each week, both to aid participants in their projects and to help participants with any issues they encounter. We will also host weekday office hours staffed by our instructors for participants to get as much feedback and assistance as needed. 

We work with all of our participants in a dedicated Slack workspace that makes it easy for any given participant to get help from a Daily section leader at virtually any time.

Here is an example weekly schedule (note that this is just an example and all times are subject to change):

When will the program take place?

We will host weekend workshops from Monday, Sept. 27th, 2021 to Friday, November 12th, 2021. We will host multiple live sessions of the same material throughout the weekend to accommodate varying schedules. DON’T WORRY if you cannot attend all of the remote training sessions. We understand circumstances are still rapidly changing for many of us, and we will take measures such as sharing extensive notes and recording the training sessions (participants will not be recorded) to ensure resources are accessible to our participants. 

How much does it cost to participate?

The program fee for 7 weeks is $1740 total (about $249/week), accepted via Paypal. This goes toward The Daily’s operational costs, including the pay of Daily section leaders who staff our program. If participants have any incomplete projects left upon the program’s official end date, we will work with them to see those projects to completion at no additional cost. 

We have both partial and full need-based scholarships available to all students. We are committed to offering financial aid scholarships to ALL accepted students with need, and there are no complicated financial forms that we require to enable this process. If either a partial or full need-based scholarship would make a difference in helping you participate in our program, simply indicate your preferred amount in the program application and we will work to meet everyone’s need in full. 

If you have any questions related to financial aid or would like to meet with us to discuss options, please don’t hesitate to email [email protected]. We are committed to working with you to put together a scholarship package that meets your needs. 

Have further questions?

Feel free to email [email protected] with any additional questions!

The deadline is September 20 at 11:59 p.m. PT. 

We will evaluate applications on a rolling basis and get back to you with a decision/next steps within one week of receiving your application. 

Toggle Dark Mode Toggle Dark Mode
Toggle Large Font Size Toggle Font Size