‘Luck has nothing to do with it’

The spirit of Tuesday’s mid-year freshman convocation was embodied in the class T-shirts that were summarily distributed after the event, which read, “Stanford ’13: luck has nothing to do with it.”

The Class of 2013 packed Dinkelspiel Auditorium last night for what Dean of Freshmen Julie Lythcott-Haims ’89 described as the largest convocation turnout Stanford has ever seen. The class gathered to reflect on its first three months of Stanford and hear words of wisdom from people who have “been there.”

Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education John Bravman ’79 began by welcoming the freshmen and asking them to reflect on how they have changed in their first 111 days as undergraduates.

“Do you remember what I asked you on the Quad during orientation week?” Bravman said. A few hands shot up in the audience.

A student responded, “Who are you becoming?”

The student was rewarded with an iPod, which Bravman tossed from stage. A fellow “thirteener” could be heard: “This definitely wouldn’t happen at Berkeley.”

Lythcott-Haims followed Bravman, communicating a desire on behalf of the entire University that each member of the Class of 2013 finds his or her home on campus. “I follow you on Facebook — I know many of you call Stanford home,” she said. “We want you to love this place and feel you belong here so you feel fully vested in our opportunities, our resources and the help we have to give.”

A panel discussion with current Stanford upperclassmen followed. Panelists shared highlights of their time at Stanford, but also significant moments of failure and self-discovery. “I had a pretty bad freshman year,” said Henry Tsai ’10. “I called first quarter the worst three months of my life.”

Tsai said he later found his academic niche in comparative studies in race and ethnicity and was recently accepted to Harvard Business School. Peter Chadri ‘10, an international relations major from Nairobi, also encouraged the freshmen.

“All of you guys are really bright. Don’t think you’re not supposed to be here,” he said.

Lythcott-Haims said the event was organized such that, instead of comprising of a series of administrators, students had the chance to hear the stories of peers who have been in their shoes.

She emphasized how critical it is that Stanford undergraduates lean on one another as they make their way through college.

“One of the goals of this event is to show students that things like tutoring and getting advice or counseling are not things to be ashamed of,” she said. “Very often, students try to do it alone and they think seeking help is a weakness. We see it as a sign of great strength.”

Freshman Karen Shen said afterward, “I like the stuff about it taking a little bit of time to find your place at Stanford and that it’s normal and understandable.”