Men’s basketball coach Kyle Smith lands first high school commit

Stanford has landed its first high school commit under Kyle Smith’s tenure as head coach with Evan Stinson, the Class of 2024 small forward who announced his commitment to the Cardinal on Instagram Friday. The 6-foot-7 forward was previously committed to Washington State and will now follow Kyle Smith to the Farm.

According to 247Sports, Stinson is the No. 2 rated player in the state of Washington and ranked the No. 171 player nationally. 

“We’re very fortunate to have Evan as part of our program,” Smith said in a press release to Washington State in November. “He’s long, rangy and can play in the backcourt or frontcourt.”

In addition to Stanford and Washington State, Stinson had offers from the University of California at San Diego, the University of California at Davis, Seattle University, Utah State and the University of San Francisco. Stinson is a prolific three-point shooter, with the length and size to shoot over the top of defenses. He also possesses uncharacteristically deep range on his shots. 

The Cardinal now have two commits from the graduating high school class with Stinson and point guard Elijah Crawford from Georgia. However, Smith will still need to work the transfer portal to field a competitive roster for Stanford’s first ACC basketball season.

Kaushik Sampath is a desk editor for the sports section. He is a sophomore from Fayetteville, Arkansas, who's undecided on his major. You can catch him watching and ranting about his beloved Arkansas Razorbacks or hanging out with friends on campus. Contact him at sports 'at' stanforddaily.com.