Women’s basketball star Kiki Iriafen enters the transfer portal

In a devastating blow for the Stanford women’s basketball team, star forward Kiki Iriafen entered the transfer portal on Friday evening. Iriafen, who averaged 19.4 points and 11 rebounds per game, is the first transfer out of the program this offseason. The six-foot-three forward has a “do not contact” tag, meaning potential alternative teams should not contact her. This tag likely indicates Iriafin has an idea of where she might be headed after Stanford.

The offseason has already seen a complete overhaul of the program, as long-time head coach Tara VanDerveer announced her retirement, while senior forward Cameron Brink and graduate guard Hannah Jump are moving on with their professional careers. 

To replace the production from their three leading scorers, new head coach Kate Paye will likely look to graduate transfers to fill out the rest of the roster. Currently, without Iriafen, Stanford has no players that averaged double-digits last season. 

While the Cardinal were hoping for a smooth transition to the ACC next season, it seems the program will have to rebuild from the ground-up, and will need to make significant changes before reclaiming their position as a top program in the sport. 

Kaushik Sampath is a desk editor for the sports section. He is a sophomore from Fayetteville, Arkansas, who's undecided on his major. You can catch him watching and ranting about his beloved Arkansas Razorbacks or hanging out with friends on campus. Contact him at sports 'at' stanforddaily.com.