Editorial: Education means more than just getting a job

Opinion by Editorial Board

The annual UCLA survey of over 400,000 incoming college freshmen found a striking difference in their personal goals coming into college. Less than 50 percent cited “developing a meaningful philosophy of life” as essential or very important as an outcome of their college experience, whereas wealth was cited by 78 percent. In comparison to results from 1971, the change over time underscores a growing concern about careers in college over a college education unto itself. Four decades ago, 37 percent responded that wealth was a driving goal whereas 73 percent sought a meaningful life philosophy.

In our current economic climate, it may seem natural for students to put more stress on how their major will translate into a lucrative career. Such careerism, however, cannot only have negative consequences for individual students later on in life, but may also come to define the American higher education systems. Some schools, due to decreasing or nonexistent enrollment, have begun to cut majors such as philosophy and classics. Some students may see these majors as dead-ends rather than as launching points to further education or employment. Yet, the value of a liberal education cannot be forgotten. Amid the declining value of the dollar, the value of a broad education still exists.

The danger here is that a humanities education reaches beyond the short-term goal of financial stability into a long-term life education in thought and ethics. While Stanford students may feel mired in IHUM reading and discussion sections, we must also remember that we are among the people who will shape what our world will be. As such, we must be able to make difficult ethical choices and, hopefully, contribute more to society than the twin materialist goals of wealth and production.

Not only does an education in the humanities have great value on a personal level, students often forget that employers look for skills beyond the limits of specific majors. The Association of American Colleges and Universities recently found that employers of recent college graduates value the following skills most highly: communication, critical thinking and creativity.

The Editorial Board believes that students everywhere should remember the value of their college education not simply in terms of the dollar. Increasing tuition prices and the economy may be dark clouds on the horizon, but a comprehensive education in the humanities may be the silver lining. With many new sectors of our economy coming to the forefront, we cannot always predict what the job market will look like upon graduation. In such an ever-changing, globalized world, one cannot forget that communication and critical thinking are what break down cultural barriers and launch new ideas into the conversation. Colleges and universities should be sensitive to concerns about careers, but ensure that a broad education in humanities is not left in the past if students begin to move away from it. Just as emerging fields build upon prior research, the foundation of a university education should not be cast aside at the desire for the all-mighty dollar. In fact, building a college career on these cornerstones may be a better launching point into the real job market.