BRIEF: Rain, power outage storm through

Stanford experienced a two-hour power outage on campus Tuesday morning, and University officials told residents to prepare for storms and potential emergencies throughout the rainy week.

ALERTSU, the campus’s emergency notification system, sent automated e-mails, text messages and phone calls to community members at about 8:15 a.m. Tuesday to report the power outage. Morning classes were to be held at the discretion of instructors, according to the alert.

Many campus stores, libraries and buildings did not open for business at their normal time. Card access to some residences was also reportedly hindered, according to e-mails from Student Housing.

Power was restored around 10 a.m.

Meanwhile, Housing asked campus residents to prepare for “extreme weather” throughout the week. Staff recommended in an e-mail that students keep flashlights, blankets, food and “alternative means of receiving timely information, such as a battery-operated radio” ready.

Residences with card-access entry systems have a four-hour battery backup, according to Housing; after four hours, entering the building would require help from someone inside.

Rain remains expected at least through Friday, with a high wind watch issued for the Stanford area as early as Wednesday morning.