Michael Cera sticks to what he knows

@intcopy:<*d(1,3)><z11><zYouth In Revoltgt;For his most recent work, “Youth in Revolt,” Michael Cera sticks to what he knows best and presents the similar, outcast, hormonal teen that we have seen so many times before. I don’t know how much longer Cera will be able to act the same in every movie and still be popular, but for now, it works.
Based on the wildly popular book by C.D. Payne, this story follows the young Nick Twisp (Cera) as he employs any means to be reunited with the love of his live/weeklong fling, Sheeni Saunders (Portia Doubleday). Nick eventually realizes that he will have to be ruthless to get want he wants, so he creates an alternate, chain-smoking and utterly French ego, Francois, to handle these often-nefarious endeavors.
For the plot being so incredibly outlandish, the movie did well to provide a realistic portrayal. It was believable that this young, unsure character would fall in love with a girl so easily and then decide to do such crazy things (think burning down the town of Berkeley) to return to her. And even if there are some things that do not make perfect sense or seem improbable, the movie is clearly lighthearted and fun, and certainly not to be taken seriously.
The beginning of the movie establishes Nick as very solitary. With a mom who has a different boyfriend every week (one being a hysterical cameo by Zach Galiafinakis) and a dad who is dating a much younger woman, and neither parent is particularly secretive about the amount of sex he or she is having, it makes sense for Nick to be vigorously searching for a partner. He becomes obsessed with the first girl that gives him any attention<\p>–<\p>Sheeni.
A major flaw with the movie revolves around Sheeni’s character. I’m unsure if Sheeni was supposed to be odd or if Doubleday needs to practice her acting, but Sheeni was especially strange. It was understandable for Nick to fall for Sheeni, but I could not figure out why Sheeni would fall for Nick. Sheeni is relatively attractive, has a seemingly perfect boyfriend before she meets the socially crippled Nick and is sent away to her dream school, yet still wants a relationship with Nick as much as Nick wants a relationship with her. There are certain aspects about Sheeni that would explain why she would be attracted to Nick; however, I think casting an attractive actress to play the part muddles the effect she is supposed to convey to the audience. Is she hot or is she not? I don’t know.
As per usual, Cera is really funny and especially awkward, which is enjoyable and entertaining. I’m just curious as to how many times I can watch the same character and still be interested. I’ve seen it in “Arrested Development,” “Superbad” and “Juno,” but at least then it had some novelty. By the time “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” rolled around, I was sick of it. Granted, this movie is better and has more substance than “Nick and Norah,” but why do I keep going to his movies to see the same thing? The bottom line is that a character who is blundering, unintimidating and looking for some action is relatable. Even if one is the most social of butterflies, we all know what that feels like.
7/10
@BYLINE:<\m> cameron SOKOLIK
contact cameron: [email protected]

Youth In RevoltFor his most recent work, “Youth in Revolt,” Michael Cera sticks to what he knows best and presents the similar, outcast, hormonal teen that we have seen so many times before. I don’t know how much longer Cera will be able to act the same in every movie and still be popular, but for now, it works.

The beginning of the movie establishes Nick as very solitary. With a mom who has a different boyfriend every week (one being a hysterical cameo by Zach Galiafinakis) and a dad who is dating a much younger woman, and neither parent is particularly secretive about the amount of sex he or she is having, it makes sense for Nick to be vigorously searching for a partner. He becomes obsessed with the first girl that gives him any attention–Sheeni.