Banerjee is named 2010 Pearl intern

Devin Banerjee ’11, former editor in chief of The Stanford Daily, has been named the 2010 Daniel Pearl Memorial Journalism intern.

Selected by Stanford communication faculty and Wall Street Journal staff, Banerjee will work in a foreign bureau of the Wall Street Journal this summer.

The internship began in 2003 to commemorate the work of Daniel Pearl ’85. Pearl, a communication major at Stanford, was kidnapped and killed in Pakistan in 2002 while working as a foreign correspondent for the Wall Street Journal.

Banerjee, who is majoring in management science and engineering with a concentration in technology and policy, was selected from an applicant pool of Stanford undergraduates and graduate students.

“In his best reporting,” Banerjee wrote in his application essay, “Daniel Pearl found and rooted his stories in conversations with everyday people, for it often was their absence from the larger conversation that yielded a nature of misunderstanding — the failure to connect the dots.”

During his work at The Stanford Daily, the San Jose Mercury News and the JoongAng Daily in Seoul, Korea, Banerjee said, “allowing the voices of dignified individuals to shine through my words has been a responsibility both heavy and incomparably gratifying.”

Banerjee, a native of Calabasas, Calif., ended his term as editor of The Daily’s Volume 236 last week. He is the son of Dave and Radhi Banerjee.