Commited for Life…to food

Commited for Life...to foodI was initially against writing this food guide because I fundamentally oppose anything that furthers the association between Feb. 14 (an otherwise innocuous date) and the saccharine, Hallmark-created aberration of a holiday that is Valentine’s Day. But food is generally a wonderful way to bring people together, and the cultural, emotional and aesthetic experience of sharing an out-of-the-ordinary meal on Valentine’s Day need not be limited to those in a romantic relationship. So whether you’re committed for life, just trying to get some or are Stanford’s very own version of Jennifer Aniston, hopefully this guide helps you enjoy the Stanford area’s culinary bounty on Sunday. On a personal level, compiling this guide helped me realize that Valentine’s Day need not be about tacky stuffed animals, awkward dates or the exchange of heart-shaped chocolate boxes that no one will ever eat. In the middle of a miserably rainy winter, it can be a day to appreciate love in any form–romantic love, but also love between friends and family or even love of self. And in my mind, love and food are inexorably tied.

Cheap Date

So you’re broke (unless Cardinal Dollars count, which they don’t) and it’s Valentine’s Day. Sure, you could pretend to come down with a gnarly case of pink eye to avoid seeing anyone, but there are also creative ways to enjoy a Valentine’s Day meal without breaking the bank. My favorite idea is a picnic. Go wild at Palo Alto’s new Trader Joe’s and laze away an afternoon somewhere scenic. Some location suggestions: an arcade in the Main Quad, the isolated lawn at the end of Mayfield, the top of the Dish, Gamble Gardens in Palo Alto (a hidden gem two miles off campus, just past Castilleja School) or somewhere on the shores of Lake Lag. As for the contents of your picnic basket? Try brie and a fresh baguette, prosciutto with melon and mandarin oranges.

Another well-priced and yummy option is the Vietnamese restaurant Pho Vi Hoa in Los Altos. Just 10 minutes off campus (on the way to Target), Pho Vi Hoa serves up simple but incredible plates of grilled chicken and steamed rice for just $7.50, and steaming bowls of pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) for just $6. The ambiance leaves something to be desired, but it’s hard to find a more satisfying price to taste ratio anywhere nearby. For people willing to explore even more grungy venues, don’t discount the Stanford area’s abundant taquerias. My favorite is Taqueria La Bamba in Mountain View, whose carnitas burritos and traditional Salvadoran pupusas (deep fried corn tortillas stuffed with cheese and/or pork) are irresistible — and both under $7.

Traditional

Whether you’re trying to sweep that special someone off their feet or want a classy night out with friends you usually only see in, say, Manzanita Dining, Valentine’s Day and fancy restaurants are nearly synonymous. While Palo Alto generally sucks at fulfilling Stanford students’ entertainment needs, it does have a few good bets to get a nice dinner. My favorite is Zibibbo, located in a beautifully renovated Victorian home, which specializes in small plates and rotisserie grilled items with a California-meets-the-Mediterranean feel. I’m especially into the prawns, “Israeli Cigars” and suckling pig. You also can’t go wrong with La Strada, an intimate Italian-meets-Californian restaurant; when my life takes a turn for the worse, the only thing I want to eat is their wild boar ragu. A third option is Evvia, whose Greek-slash-Californian (noticing a trend here?) food mixes perfectly with the cozy atmosphere. The only downside to all three? Dinner will set you back about $40 per person, including tax and tip.

Something Different

If you’re looking to move beyond typical fusion-y California cuisine, the area around Stanford has a few (if limited) options for adventurous gastronomes. Shiok!, in downtown Menlo Park, features Singaporean food, which is a hodgepodge of Indian, Chinese, Malaysian and uniquely Singaporean items. Their roti prata (a fried pancake-like bread dipped in curry sauce) alone is worth a trip. Also in downtown Menlo Park, Juban is a Korean restaurant where diners sit around open grills embedded in the middle of tables. You can pick from a pretty big selection of meats and vegetables, which you then cook yourself on the central grill, and then eat alongside steamed rice and a soy sauce-based dipping sauce. Juban is an especially good option if you’re worried about potential awkwardness; because it’s so interactive, when conversation lags, you can just shift focus to determining whether the chicken has been cooked all the way through (although the symptoms of salmonella might not be the sexiest thing to discuss with a date).