Set the Mood

For a lot of us, Feb. 14 is just another day of the year. However, as much as we try to fight it, Valentine’s Day is going to hit this Sunday, whether we like it or not. While those in and out of love don’t necessarily need to embrace the tasteless chocolate hearts and the overpriced teddy bears, Valentine’s Day is a great excuse for anyone to make a new playlist. Unless you are using the Genius tool, creating playlists is a tedious and daunting task, making sure each song is significant not only in its quality, but also in its placement on the track list. Luckily for you faithful readers, Intermission is going to be your own personal playlist Genius this Valentine’s Day. Whether you are looking for, have found or are not at all interested in love, sync your iPod with this sampler to perfectly set the mood this Sunday.

1. “Your Love Is My Drug”– Ke$ha

Fan of this party girl or not, this song is perfect to dance to with your girlfriends or sing along to at a party. It’s catchy and sassy, and there is certainly a reason why it is the opener on her smash-hit album, “Animal,” and why it makes the perfect opener for this playlist.

2. “Pon De Floor (feat. Vybz Kartel)”– Major Lazer

Major Lazer, the reggae-electro project from Switch and Diplo (he played on campus last year!), has such a wide variety of dancehall tracks that it was tough to choose just one. “Pon De Floor” is perhaps the most infectious, and is literally impossible not to dance to. Also, it has a notable lack of lyrics, which you will definitely appreciate by the end of this list.

3. “Heartbreaker (feat. John Legend)”– MSTRKRFT

Electronic gods MSTRKRFT stayed true to their successful formula in their sophomore album, “Fist of God,” with retro synths and that thunderous bass. However, they lined up significantly more guest vocalists this time around. Soul-pop artist John Legend lends his skills to “Heartbreaker,” and his voice will not only melt your heart, but MSTRKRFT’s beats will get you dancing.

Set the Mood4. “Home”– Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Giving this sampler a dash of a different flavor, L.A.-based folk group Edward Sharpe will work its way into your heart with an endearing collaboration of banjos, tambourines, accordions and the like. “Home” is an impossibly sweet duet with a jangling chorus and enthusiastic hand claps. Halfway through the song, you will find yourself singing along with your friends or significant other, or to yourself — the song being special no matter what the situation.

5. “Laura”– Girls

San Francisco-based group Girls is poised to take the indie music scene by storm, and “Laura” is included on this list for more reasons than its impossibly hip status. Singer Christopher Owens pleads throughout the song, “I really wanna be your friend forever,” showing that not all guys are after just one thing. Their Beach Boys-esque sound alone will win you over, but Girls shows that they can be romantic with the best of them on “Laura.”

6. “I Want You Back”– Discovery

Summer’s coolest collaboration between Ra Ra Riot’s Wes Miles and Vampire Weekend’s Rostam Batmanglij gave us the light and bubbly electo-pop record, “LP,” which featured a cover of this Jackson 5 classic. While some may be skeptical about the efficacy of remaking a song featuring the impossible-to-duplicate late King of Pop’s voice, Discovery utilized the tool of the hour — AutoTune — and to great success. The result is an over-processed yet addictive track that you’ll want to blast out your speakers long after Valentine’s Day has come and gone.