Makowsky: Card D’s new look in 2010?

The early weeks of February belong to recruiting in the college football world, and accordingly, major Stanford news has been overlooked. With the hiring of former Baltimore Ravens linebackers coach Vic Fangio as the Cardinal’s new defensive coordinator, head coach Jim Harbaugh has indicated that Stanford will begin implementing parts of a 3-4 package.

It will not be a full transition, at least initially, but it does show a shift in doctrine from the first three years of Harbaugh’s tenure, when the defense operated out of a 4-3 base.

What changes when your front seven goes from three linebackers and four linemen to the reverse? At the most basic level, your defensive line assumes more rush than pass responsibilities. The nose tackle, generally a gargantuan individual, is charged with plugging two gaps, while the defensive ends could be converted 4-3 tackles who, in the 3-4, are not expected to get to the quarterback with the same frequency as their 4-3 counterparts. This theoretically frees up the linebackers — the backbone of the 3-4 is disguising the fourth pass rusher, who generally comes from the outside. The two inside linebackers split coverage and rush responsibilities, and the strong safety is more free to move around in the box, although the duties of the defensive backfield remain largely the same.

That’s the Reader’s Digest version. It can obviously be changed around quite a bit, from the “okie” to “eagle” adaptations and more, and with Fangio alternating between the 4-3 and 3-4, it will surely take on even newer looks. But that is not our charge, at least not until spring practice. Instead, it is to look at the Cardinal’s current roster and see what changes will have to be made to create an effective 3-4 front.

Let’s start from the line and move back, as there is some stability among the starters. The 4-3 look is fairly set: Chase Thomas and Tom Keiser at end, Matt Masifilo and Sione Fua at tackle. This shifts in the 3-4. Keiser would likely retain his spot — he has excellent size for an end but not the speed to be an outside linebacker. And, of the remaining players at the position, he stands as the best against the run, a more crucial part of the 3-4 end’s game. Unfortunately, Keiser’s top trait is his pass rushing ability, and that stands to be fairly neutralized — he may be the athlete most hurt by such a move.

The major issue with the switch to a 3-4 is that Stanford lacks a traditional nose tackle. Think Terrence Cody. There is no one on the Cardinal’s roster that resembles him. The closest is Fua, who would likely be helped out by someone like Terrence Stephens, but even then, it would be surprising if Stanford let the nose tackle assume the entirety of the two-gap responsibilities. This would in turn move Masifilo, who is a bit smaller, to defensive end, which may be a beneficial move for him — he’s already stout against the run and is swift enough to handle a position that requires slightly more versatility.

With the line filled, Thomas would go to outside linebacker, a potentially wonderful switch with many questions. He’s already demonstrated that he is fast and can get after the quarterback. But will his speed translate to the open field? Can he cover? Answer affirmatively, and Thomas could wreak havoc; respond negatively, and he becomes a situational guy.

The rest of the linebacking corps is similarly up-in-the-air. Shayne Skov, who saw extended work on the outside in the 4-3, will likely move inward, a more natural spot for him given his physicality. But what of the rest? Chike Amajoyi, who has extensive starting experience, is better suited for the inside. Top recruit Blake Lueders was described as a middle linebacker by Harbaugh — he factors into the equation as well.

And as for the final outside spot, the major wildcard is Alex Debniak, who was one of the most impressive players in spring ball last year, but missed the entirety of 2009 to injury. Very fast and instinctual, he could be a nice addition opposite of Thomas.

As noted, the secondary should stay fairly similar to the current 4-3 look, but if one player will benefit, it would be Delano Howell. He would likely get more opportunities to play in the box, where has excelled thus far in his career.

There are even more shifts among the backups — Trent Murphy, for instance, who was highly lauded as a scout team player throughout the year, would likely make the DE to LB move, much like Thomas. It is a shake up, to be sure, but when your defense finishes the year ranked No. 90 in the nation, a little change can be a good thing.

Only six and a half more months until we see if Wyndam Makowsky’s predictions come true. Count down with him at makowsky “at” stanford.edu.