No More Pizza!: STAMP presents a show about body issues

Spring fever steadily advances. However, beyond the excitement, anticipation and festivity loom larger, and occasionally smellier, problems. From anorexia to ingrown pubic hairs, “Mirror Mirror” succeeds in reinventing the cliched high school assembly on body image.

“Mirror Mirror” is a production hosted by STAMP, the Stanford Theater Activist Mobilization Project, advocating healthy body image. In an attempt to educate its audience, “Mirror Mirror” consists of a short performance and discussion-based section aimed at raising awareness within the Stanford community. After this production, you won’t speak about a difference, but feel it.
Descending the stairs in Arrillaga, I could already feel my hair starting to frizz. The air is thick, filled with the pungent smell of students sweating out the daily lunch special.

“No More Pizza!”

The young girl’s words filled my ears, and I couldn’t help but wonder: “When was the last time she’d eaten?” I saw her at the gym everyday, and everyday she seemed to get smaller, skinnier and maybe a little prettier, at least all the guys thought so. A constant stream of smirks telling her the skinnier you are, the more worth you have. I turned away, thinking back to last night’s dorm performance.

“I look like shit!”

Vehemently proclaiming her lack of self-worth, her voice trembled but her message was powerful.

“The only comments I hear about my appearance are my own.”

“Mirror Mirror” challenges the distorted view of food and self-worth, paving the way for social change. Instead of throwing these issues under the rug, STAMP’s unique attempt at tackling these issues is a cause for celebration. These performances interact with their audience to serve a greater purpose to the community, in addition to the hilarious and often embarrassing recollections, of course.

From the majority of actresses onstage to the large female audience, it is clear that problems with body image are more prevalent in females. However, “Mirror Mirror” does a great job of moving outside the box and catering to the transgender, the helpless teenager, the hurt girlfriend, the pressured boyfriend and various others. From the obvious to the obscure, the audience will get the chance to redefine beauty.

“Mirror Mirror” is stimulating, an interesting way to revamp the old and boring “Your friend has an eating disorder if…” lecture. It is a must see, showcasing live at The Nitery Theater. Reserve your ticket at [email protected] to join STAMP productions at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. on February 26 & 27.