Editorial: iWeek engages students on immigration issues

Opinion by Editorial Board

Immigration is an issue which, when addressed in Congress, often proves to be more divisive than health care reform, the war in Iraq or financial regulation. As in many cases, politicians on the far ends of each side of the spectrum drive the debate, and the immigration issue seems to be stifled by this deep polarization.

One way the Editorial Board believes students can inform themselves about immigration reform in the United States is by attempting to engage it on multiple levels, bringing together the academic and the political to engage those directly affected by the policies or issues being addressed. A powerful example of this multi-layered approach can be seen in a series of events occurring this week, dubbed “iWeek.” Spearheaded by the Stanford Immigrant Rights Project–with the support of the ASSU, The Speaker’s Bureau, Stanford in Government and many other groups–the events of iWeek are as diverse as their sponsors.

The former Secretary of Labor, Ray Marshall, will be speaking regarding the potential for increased economic prosperity that comprehensive immigration reform can bring. Different outreach efforts include STAMP letter-reading performances throughout campus helping to illustrate the human side of the issue. A demonstration on Monday in White Plaza included a human border, reminding bikers and walkers of the hundreds of deaths annually at the United States/Mexico border. The slight inconvenience this caused may also leave a more lasting impression than the flyer sharing that accompanied the “border wall.”

The DREAM Act is one component of reform that may particularly resonate with Stanford Students. Currently, 65,000 undocumented students graduate from American high schools each year, but few have paths to higher education, military service or citizenship. Considered in Congress since 2001, if passed, the bill would provide undocumented students of “good moral character” the chance to obtain conditional permanent legal residency as they pursue their undergraduate education. The passage of the bill would be monumental in securing funds for college for students without legal residency.

President Hennessy, along with many other university presidents, has conveyed his full support for the 2009 DREAM Act. Driven by “the desire to give outstanding members of our community a chance to succeed,” Hennessy wrote to our congresswomen and state senators last year in support of the bill.

Though President Obama devoted only one vague sentence to immigration reform in his State of the Union address, we hope our peers are more active in engaging with the issue. In the classroom, many political science, sociology and economics courses address issues of national identity and labor globally. Multiple Alternative Spring Break courses also fuse academic components with direct exposure to our national border.

Regardless of one’s beliefs, the Editorial Board feels all would be served to find a way to connect on some level with the issue of immigration, whether that means engaging a professor regarding international labor flows or seeking out non-profits which strive to serve the 12 million undocumented immigrants within our nation or something more personal. Though the debate in Washington may grow more sensational, we hope that those of us on campus can continue to engage and learn from differing perspectives.