BRIEF: Men’s tennis halts slide

After losing two consecutive matches to No. 10 California and No. 5 Southern California, the Stanford men’s tennis team broke its losing streak with a 4-0 win over Utah on Wednesday at Taube Family Tennis Center. Though seven matches were scheduled to be played, rain forced the teams indoors to complete four matches that were in progress, with the remaining matches canceled after the Card secured victory.

“It was definitely a good feeling to win the match after the heartbreakers against Cal and USC and a positive step forward,” said freshman Sam Ecker.

Stanford’s singles players won four matches, all by significant margins. Junior Alex Clayton defeated Jason Smits 6-0, 6-4; junior Greg Hirshman defeated Alex Golding 6-2, 6-3; senior Richard Wire defeated Timmy Allin 6-4, 6-0; and freshman Denis Lin defeated Dmytro Mamedov, 6-1, 6-0.

“We felt fortunate to be able to finish the match,” Ecker said. “We knew heading into the match that there was a relatively good chance that it was going to be cancelled due to inclement weather, so it felt good to get a win despite finishing only 4 of the 7 matches.”

Stanford’s top singles player, sophomore Bradley Klahn, was up by a set before his match was suspended due to rain. Freshman Matt Kandath’s match, which had started, was also suspended. No doubles matches were started.

This weekend, Stanford heads to the Pacific Coast Doubles tournament in La Jolla, Calif. The Card currently has the best doubles team in the country in Klahn and fellow sophomore Ryan Thacher. While the tournament is an open competition, the field will be comprised primarily of college teams. The Card’s most prominent opponents will be from schools like USC, UCLA, California and Pepperdine.

After the tournament, Stanford will take a break for finals, then head off on a road trip to the Midwest to face Illinois and Michigan on March 23 and 25, respectively.

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.