Protestors flood streets over education cuts

In a protest of recent cuts in education funding, California public universities and their surrounding communities were subject to both violent and nonviolent protest on Thursday.

In Oakland, a group of protestors blocked Interstate 880 just before 5 p.m. The protest occurred just after a peaceful rally at Oakland City Hall, according to the L.A. Times. Police arrested an undisclosed number of people before reopening lanes at 5:30 p.m.

According to The Daily Californian, approximately 25 schools were represented in the riots, aimed at conveying the negative reactions of students and faculty toward state education budget cuts.

University of California (UC) President Mark G. Yudof released a statement regarding Thursday’s events.

“My heart and my support are with everybody and anybody who wants to stand up for public education,” Yudof said. “I salute those who are making themselves heard today in a peaceful manner on behalf of a great cause.”

While the demonstrations in most venues were in fact peaceful, many protestors at UC-Santa Cruz reacted with more hostility. A driver reported having his car window smashed by either a rock or a hammer, an expected occurrence after UC-Santa Cruz Provost David Kliger alerted students and employees of reports of protestors armed with clubs, knives and pipes.

Outcry began in late September 2009 after it was announced that UC and CSU schools would raise tuition 32 percent.

-Zach Zimmerman