GSB student dies after overseas trip

Correction: In an earlier version of this story on April 5, 2010, The Daily incorrectly reported that Roanak went through London, was diagnosed with malaria and still boarded the plane to new York. In fact, he was on a direct flight from Cairo to New York and was not diagnosed with malaria until the plane was diverted in Maine.

Roanak Desai, a second year Graduate School of Business (GSB) student, died Saturday of malaria he likely contracted during a overseas trip three weeks ago. An informal memorial service for Desai was held at the Arrillaga Alumni Center on Sunday.

Desai was visiting Africa and the Middle East with a group of friends from the GSB in mid-March when he is believed to have contracted malaria. Desai toured Ghana, Lebanon, Kuwait, Dubai, Syria and Egypt and fell ill toward the end of his journey. Desai saw a doctor in Egypt who gave him some medications for a heat stroke.

En route back to the United States, Desai became so sick that his flight from Cairo to New York was diverted to Bangor, Maine, on March 31st. He was then rushed to the hospital and diagnosed with malaria. He died there Saturday, April 3rd.

The GSB community is reeling from the sudden news of Desai’s death.

“Honestly, this was a shock for all of us,” said second-year GSB student Abdullah Assal, who worked with Desai in the GSB Entrepreneur Club. “We just found out…we even planned to have a meeting with him tomorrow morning.”

Friends described Desai as a “kind” and “helpful” person.

“I’m from France, so there were lots of things that were vague with me when I came here to the U.S. and he was really always there to help me and advise me,” said Pierre Djian, a second-year GSB student. “I knew I could always count on him.”

“He was a very social person; he was a very high-achieving person and was very smart,” Assal added. “He’s a friend to everyone.”

Desai received a B.S. in neurobiology from Harvard in 2000, according to an online profile. He had worked in corporate development at Genpact and General Electric and as an analyst at JP Morgan prior to coming to Stanford.

— Ivy Nguyen