ASSU voting underway

ASSU voting underway
XIN SHAN/The Stanford Daily

Shortly after 9 p.m. Thursday, 3,638 students had cast votes in the ASSU election; polls remain open until 11:59 p.m. Friday. Voters are deciding next year’s ASSU president and vice president, undergraduate senators, Graduate Student Council members, special fees recipients and class presidents.

Results are set to be announced on Saturday at 5 p.m. at the CoHo.

A brief endorsement scuffle arose on Wednesday when The Stanford Review reported that the Green Alliance for Innovative Action had dropped its endorsements of Senate candidates Rebecca Sachs ’13 and Carolyn Simmons ’13 after they used non-recycled paper to print campaign fliers.

GAIA representatives confirmed they took back their endorsement of Sachs and Simmons after discovering the two had printed fliers on new paper — a violation of a “sustainable campaign” agreement between candidates and GAIA.

Sachs told The Daily she turned to using non-recycled materials because of the volume of flyers she decided to print after receiving GAIA’s endorsement. Simmons said she was “unable” to follow the endorsement guidelines.

David Geeter II ’11 said the candidates’ use of new paper violated the “values of the community” of sustainability organizations that form GAIA.

Noel Crisostomo ’10, another GAIA representative, said the endorsement was about “building trust” in the long term with elected ASSU officers, and that whoever is elected this week would be welcome to participate in projects of GAIA’s member organizations.

-Elizabeth Titus