Eight newly elected to GSC; turnout up slightly

By and

With turnout up slightly up from last year in the Graduate Student Council vote, six incumbents and eight new candidates were elected to the council on Saturday.

In the Graduate School of Business district, current Funding Committee Chair Ping Li won the seat. Current at-large council member Justin Brown is the Earth Sciences representative-elect. Joanna Lankester, the top vote-getter among the district candidates with 389 votes, and Tao Chu were elected as School of Engineering representatives.

In the School of Humanities and Sciences, Praveen Shanbhag was elected as humanities representative, while Erik Lehnert won the natural sciences spot and Salvador Zepeda took the social science position. Jessica Tsai retained her job as School of Medicine representative, while Evan Berquist is the new Law School representative.

Elected at large were current enginneering representative Addy Satija, Krystal St. Julien in biochemistry, at-large incumbent Drew Kennedy in bioengineering, Yichuan Ding in management science and engineering (MS&E) and current secretary Crystal Yin, also in MS&E.

There were no candidates for School of Education representative.

Voter turnout in the overall ASSU election increased by 3.2 percent to 5,804 total votes, with gains mostly coming from a 7.3 percent rise in graduate student voting. Turnout fell short of the record-breaking 2008.

Elections Commissioner Quinn Slack ‘11 said 162 coterminal students voted, and could cast votes for both graduate and undergraduate ballot items. In past years, coterms had to choose whether to vote as undergraduates or graduates.

The presence of a graduate slate for executive failed to galvanize the graduate population as much as some were predicting, with graduate voting showing only a slight increase to 1,914 from last year’s 1,783. There are more than 8,000 graduate students at Stanford.

A version of this story originally appeared online on April 10.

Marisa Landicho contributed to this report.