Palo Alto Bowl keeps doors open

Palo Alto Bowl on El Camino Real is set to extend its lease to 2014, contrary to an announcement earlier this year that the alley would close as developers planned to demolish the south Palo Alto site and adjoining Thai restaurant.

The half-century-old bowling alley has been a Palo Alto landmark for 55 years, serving as a frequent location for birthday parties and Stanford-hosted “screw your roommate” shenanigans.

Palo Alto Bowl keeps doors open

In November, the alley announced its lease would run out this month and it would close to make way for a new hotel, 26 condominiums and a pedestrian and bike path after Barry Swenson Builders purchased the 3.6-acre parcel on which the alley sits. The news was met with some opposition in Palo Alto and on campus.

Now, construction plans are on hold; current alley manager Rhythm Smith will assume the position of owner beginning May 1. She purchased the alley from the owner, Rex Golobic ’45, who owns two other bowling alleys in Daly City and San Mateo.

According to Smith, future management will most likely stay the same because, as general manager, she already runs the alley–“the desk, the snack bar and the whole nine yards,” she said.

She hopes to build the business back up in the coming year, believing the role of the bowling alley within the community is a significant one.

“There really is not a lot to do around here,” Smith said. “It’s almost like a historical monument, it’s been around here for so long. It’s a good place for the kids to come and have a good time and safe time and not have to worry about anything.”

“The longer they’re around the better, as far as I’m concerned,” said Magali Ferare ‘10, who has planned events at Palo Alto Bowl.

Some local high school students remember either hosting or attending birthday parties there.

“I hosted my 12th birthday party at that bowling alley; when I heard that it would be closing, I felt really sad,” said Gunn High School student Annie Tran. “I hope that it will stay open at least until I am 50, because that was a place where many of my high school memories were made.”

“I am optimistic for the future of the alley, and I am so glad that it is staying open so that my friends and I can continue to create memories there for years to come,” said bowler Francesca Milinovich.

Kate Abbott contributed to this report.

Melissa Chan is a former summer intern at The Daily.