BRIEF: Barte, Tan reach quarterfinals of Pac-10 Championships

Junior Hilary Barte and freshman Stacey Tan advanced to the quarterfinals of the Pac-10 Championships by winning their first two matches.

Barte, the No. 1 seed in the tournament, cruised with 6-1, 6-2 victory over Washington’s Lina Xu and a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Washington State’s Luda Vasilieva. Tan came back for a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory over UCLA’s Stephanie Hoffpauir and then beat Cal’s Kaisa Siwosz 6-3, 7-5 to advance to the quarters.

Freshman Mallory Burdette, the No. 7 seed, beat Cal’s Annie Goransson 6-3, 7-5 in the first round, but got upset by Arizona State’s Micaela Hein by the same 6-3, 7-5 score in the second round.

Her sister, senior Lindsay Burdette, also fell in the second round. After defeating Arizona’s Claire Rietsch 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, Lindsay Burdette ran into No. 6 seed Mari Andersson of Cal, who won 6-3, 6-1 to eliminate the elder Burdette.

Junior Carolyn McVeigh had a similar fate, winning 7-6, 6-4 over Arizona State’s Kelcy McKenna before falling to No. 3 seed Marina Cossou of Cal, 1-6, 7-5, 6-4.

Sophomore Veronica Li lost in the first round 6-1, 2-6, 6-4 to UCLA’s Andrea Remynse.

Due to the initial seedings, Barte and Tan will face each other in the quarterfinals, so Stanford is guaranteed exactly one semifinalist.

In the Invitational division, junior Jennifer Yen won her first round match in straight sets before falling in three sets in the second round. Sophomore Logan Hansen had to withdraw due to injury, and freshman Natalie Dillon lost in straight sets in the first round.

Stanford has three doubles teams in the regular division, with Barte and Lindsay Burdette as the No. 1 seed. Mallory Burdette and Tan are the No. 4 seed, while Li and McVeigh are unranked.

For Invitational doubles, Dillon and Yen will team up, while Hansen is scheduled to join Arizona State’s Hannah James.

Singles and doubles play will take place today in Ojai, Calif.