BRIEF: Both tennis teams to host first two rounds of NCAA Tournament

This week, the NCAA released the brackets for the NCAA Tournament in both men’s and women’s tennis. Stanford received the No. 8 national seed in both the men’s and women’s tournament.

The top 16 seeds in each 64-team tournament serve as host sites for the first two rounds, and then the final 16 teams play in Athens, Ga. at the NCAA Championships.

For the men, 2010 marks the 32nd appearance in the NCAA Tournament. The Cardinal’s first-round matchup with Quinnipiac (10-4, 2-2 Northeast) will be a rematch of the first round in 2006. If Stanford (18-5, 5-1 Pac-10) can defeat the Bobcats, who were third in the Northeast Conference before winning their conference tournament, the Cardinal will take on the winner of No. 21 Pepperdine (16-10, 5-0 WCC) and No. 37 Hawaii (12-7, 4-1 WAC).

The first round will take place on May 15, with the Waves and Warriors facing off at 9 a.m., followed by Stanford taking on Quinnipiac at 12 p.m. The winners will play in the second round on May 16 at 12 p.m.

For the women, the NCAA Tournament has become almost a foregone conclusion, as 2010 will be the Cardinal’s 29th consecutive appearance. Stanford (20-1, 8-0 Pac-10) has won 15 of the past 28 NCAA Tournaments and 27 of its past 30 NCAA Tournament matches, while Fairfield (19-5, 7-0 MAAC), the Cardinal’s first-round opponent, is making only its third NCAA Tournament appearance. The other first-round matchup will pit No. 31 SMU (23-4, 6-0 Conference USA) against No. 43 Pepperdine (12-13, 3-1 WCC).

The Mustangs and Waves will battle at 11 a.m. on May 14, and the Cardinal will take on the Stags at 2 p.m. The second round match between the winners will occur on May 15 at 3 p.m.

All matches for both men and women will take place at Taube Family Tennis Stadium, where the women have won 162 straight matches, including postseason play. Tickets for both tournaments go on sale today.