W. Golf: Hitting the Green

W. Golf: Hitting the Green
Freshman Sally Watson finished two over 73 on the last day of the NCAA West Regional held at Stanford, helping Stanford to its final score of 895 (+43), earning the Card sixth place and a berth in the NCAA Championships in Wilmington, N.C. today. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

The Stanford women’s golf team makes its 19th appearance today at the NCAA Division I National Championships at the Country Club of Landfall in Wilmington, N.C. The first round of 18 holes begins today, and the tournament will conclude on Friday. Participants will play 72 holes of golf, and the lowest four scores from each team will count toward each day’s total score.

Stanford placed sixth at the NCAA West Regional held at its home course from May 6-8 to secure its national berth this week.

The top eight teams from each of the three regional tournaments, as well as two of the highest individuals not from a selected team, advanced to the national tournament. Of the 369 regional participants, 126 will travel to Wilmington.

Other West Regional teams joining Stanford on the championship green are Arizona, UCLA, Texas, Alabama, Virginia, San Jose State and Texas A&M. From the East Region, South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn, Duke, Vanderbilt, Tulane, Pepperdine and TCU will be competing. Representing the Central Region are USC, Arizona State, Purdue, New Mexico, Oklahoma State, Florida State, Oregon and Kent State.

The Cardinal made its last qualified appearance at the 2007 NCAA Championships in Daytona Beach, Fla., when the women finished fifth overall. The Card made its highest showing at the 2000 championships with a second-place finish.

The team is prepared to make its mark this year, as well.

“This is why we work so hard all year, so that we can be here to play with the best,” said junior Rebecca Durham. “The course is going to be tough, but fair, and a lot of fun to play. We’re ready to play hard and go low.”

“I really love the team’s attitude going into the event,” said sophomore Sydney Burlison. “I know we all want to do well, but at the same time I think we are just so happy to be here and enjoy the experience. For four out of the five of us it’s our first time here, so we’re all really excited. It’s nice to have two days of preparation as opposed to one, and in addition being here longer has gotten us accustomed to the time difference. We’re ready.”

Results and streaming of the last two rounds of the championships will be available online at the NCAA’s website. Holes 16, 17 and 18 will be streamed on Thursday and Friday.