Editorial: Class of 2010 should consider how they can give back to Stanford

Opinion by Editorial Board

Stanford provides countless opportunities and resources for anyone who is able to call the University their own. Academic opportunities, access to real-world opportunities and the ability to travel abroad are just a few of the many benefits graduating seniors will remember after leaving campus next month. In light of the invaluable resources and opportunities Stanford provides, the Editorial Board would like to take this time to suggest that graduating members of the Class of 2010 consider what they can do to give back to the University now that their time as undergrads is almost at an end.

After leaving campus, most members of the Class of 2010 will experience few occasions outside of reunions and alumni events when they will be able to spend time on campus and enjoy the atmosphere of the University. One of the ways Stanford tries to remind our alumni of their time here is through events like this past weekend’s Bay Area Leading Matters. Leading Matters is a series of 19 events throughout the world that help alumni to reconnect. As a capstone to most of the events, the Main Quad is simulated in some form and attendees are almost literally brought back to campus. These events, like so many of the opportunities provided to alumni, are funded largely out of what alumni themselves give back to the University. So as soon-to-be-alumni themselves, the Class of 2010 should consider how giving back to the University–even in small amounts–can be of benefit to their post-undergraduate lives.

The benefits of alumni giving, however, are by no means limited to alumni themselves. In order to maintain the University’s strong financial aid resources, countless student programs and vibrant student community, Stanford asks many of us to give back each year, whether it be by writing thank you letters, engaging with alumni during Reunion Homecoming Weekend or by calling admitted students to help give them a student perspective on the campus. Each of these actions, and many more, are ways by which we are able to help contribute something back to the University.

More formally, The Stanford Fund through The Senior Gift asks each graduating senior to give a meaningful financial donation to Stanford. The Stanford Fund itself is an annual fund that is spent down every year on financial aid, academic programming and student life. All seniors have benefited in some way from one, if not all, of these focus areas, and it makes sense for those who are able to give something back to go ahead and contribute.

The Editorial Board also thinks that adopting a wider view of “giving back” or philanthropy would be best for graduating seniors who are able to contribute in this way. Many seniors, for example, can serve on a college panel in their city after graduation or can work to strengthen their local alumni chapter, just to name two of the opportunities available to recent alumni. Remembering all that Stanford has contributed to our individual lives and futures, it makes sense for the newest alumni of Stanford to start thinking early about giving back to their alma mater.

The Stanford Daily Editorial Board comprises Opinions Editors, Columnists, and at least one member of the Stanford Community. The Board's views are reached through research, debate and individual expertise. The Board does not represent the views of the newsroom nor The Stanford Daily as a whole. Current voting members include Chair Nadia Jo '24, Joyce Chen '25, YuQing Jian '25, Jackson Kinsella '27, Alondra Martinez '26 and Sebastian Strawser '26.