Track and Field: Field narrows

Track and Field: Field narrows
Stanford’s long distance runners are some of the 32 Cardinal track and field athletes looking to qualify for the NCAA Outdoor Championships by finishing in the top 12 this weekend. (RALPH NGUYEN/The Stanford Daily)

The Stanford track and field team finds itself in Austin, Texas this week, competing to advance its athletes to the NCAA Outdoor Championships on June 9-12. Only the top 12 finishers in each event at this week’s preliminary round will earn a place at nationals in Eugene, Ore.

Prior to this year, after Pac-10s, the Stanford track and field team would generally send a contingent of athletes to the Regional Championships, a meet that boasts the best in the region, before select athletes would head off to the NCAA Outdoor Championships. This year, however, the regional meet has been eliminated and replaced with an NCAA preliminary.

For the rest of the week, the Card will be competing for the top 12 spots out of a field of 48 in each event. Stanford has a relatively large team at the meet, with 17 women competing in 20 individual events and one relay, and 15 men competing in 16 individual events and two relays.

Some events will have prelims and finals, while others, mainly the longer events, will have just one round. The other preliminary round will take place in North Carolina.

In the sprints, the women have strong representation in the 100-meter dash. Senior Griffin Matthew leads the way with her ninth seed in the event, closely followed by freshman Carissa Levingston at 11th seed. Both Matthew and Levingston have a strong possibility of being on the national team. The final Cardinal in the event is redshirt sophomore Shataya Hendricks, sitting in the 46th position. Hendricks will need a breakthrough performance to move into the qualifying range, but her runs this year show that she has the potential to do so. Despite battling several injuries throughout her time on the Farm, Hedricks’performance has been improving over the season.

The women will also have a 4×100 relay team, seeded 11th.

In the 1,500 meters, the two Stanford athletes will face stiff competition to make it into the top 12. Junior Madeline Duhon sits at 17th, while sophomore Victoria Pennings is 42nd. If Duhon qualifies, it will be her first appearance at the NCAA Championship meet.

Also sitting at 17th place is redshirt senior Madeleine O’Meara in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. O’Meara has proven to be relentless in this event, tackling each steeple as if it were the first. If she can continue to improve and have a personal best in the event, she has a chance of qualifying.

In the 5,000 meters, sole running powerhouse, freshman Kathy Kroeger, represents the Cardinal in the ninth seed.

Finally, the female distance runners boast three runners in the 10,000 meters. Sophomore Georgia Griffin, junior Stephanie Marcy and senior Kate Niehaus sit in ninth, 10th and 13th, respectively.

The women also boast excellent athletes in the field events, most notably in the long jump. Led by Matthew in the fifth seed, five women will compete in the long jump: junior Arantxa King (10th), junior Brittni Dixon-Smith (14th), junior Whitney Liehr (29th) and freshman Karynn Dunn (43rd). King and Liehr will also compete in the triple jump, seeded at 14th and 15th, respectively.

Two women who are most likely to make it to the next level of competition are sophomore Katerina Stefanidi and redshirt senior Jaynie Goodbody. Stefanidi, ranked ninth in the pole vault, has consistently improved and dominated the event all season, finishing fourth at NCAA Indoors. Goodbody, ranked eighth, was the Pac-10 champion in the hammer throw, and will look to qualify for her third consecutive NCAA Championship meet.

Also competing in the throws is junior Liz Minoofar, ranked 40th in the javelin. Minoofar will need a personal best to advance to nationals.

On the men’s side, the distance runners are expected to dominate the competition. Seeded fourth in the 1,500 meters, sophomore Dylan Ferris is poised to easily earn a ticket to nationals. Also competing in the event is freshman Andrew Berberick, ranked 29th.

In the 5,000 meters, Stanford boasts three runners in the top 12: junior Elliott Heath (third), sophomore Chris Derrick (fourth) and junior Jake Riley (10th). Riley will also be competing in the 10,000 meters, ranked 13th, along with junior Brendan Gregg, ranked 16th.

In the 3,000-meter steeplechase, junior JT Sullivan has a good chance to qualify for nationals, sitting at ninth seed. Also competing in the event is sophomore Ben Johnson, ranked 34th.

Representing Stanford in the 800 meters is senior Justin Reed, ranked 18th.

In the shorter distances, the Cardinal features one of the best runners in the country, sophomore Amaechi Morton. Morton is ranked and seeded second in the nation.

“My plan for regionals is to make it through the rounds and advance to NCAAs,” Morton said. “My goal is to take control of my races from the start, and maintain that. People will show up ready to run, and I will be ready as well, because only 12 advance.”

Also competing in the hurdles is senior Durell Coleman, ranked 20th after a spectacular personal record at Pac-10s.

Lastly, competing in the sprints for the men is senior Danny Belch, ranked 44th in the 100 meters.

In the relays, the men are ranked 20th in both the 4×100 and the 4×400.

Three Cardinal men will compete in the field events: freshman Jules Sharpe in the high jump (42nd), junior Casey Roche in the pole vault (21st) and redshirt junior Carter Wells in the hammer throw (16th).

These Stanford athletes will begin competition today and conclude on Saturday.