The Daily brief: June 17, 2010

Eviction Notice | An elderly widow with terminal cancer who has lived in a rented house in Union City for 24 years is pleading for the University to stop her eviction. Angie Cicero, 77, has rented the house from the great-niece of a University trustee who died in 2007 — and whose will dictated that upon his death, the house be vacated and sold to the University.

Hospital expansion’s traffic impact examined | In just another unfolding portion of the hospital expansion’s long-term approval process, Palo Alto’s planning commissioners examined the possible traffic effects to the city’s roadways if the University hospital expansion plan goes through.

Overheard | “The story in China for the next 20 years will be migration, migration, migration,” said Scott Rozelle, senior fellow at Stanford’s Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies, regarding the future of rural China. Stanford is hosting a  joint research effort with Chinese universities, called Rural Education Action Project, or REAP, which is researching ways to improve education for China’s rural and urban poor.

43 Graduates honored once again | Graduate recipients of the Golden and Firestone medals and the Kennedy prizes were honored in a ceremony last week. A full list of honorees can be found here.

California Coastal Mission | Three undergraduates — Lane Hartman ’12, Ian Montgomery ’12, and Michael Taylor ’11 — are kayaking from Monterey to San Diego in eight weeks to examine and learn about the coastal environment and its challenges. Follow their blog here.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest.

Ellen Huet is currently a senior staff writer at The Daily; she joined the staff in fall 2008 and served one volume as managing news editor in fall and early winter of 2010-2011. Reach her at ehuet at stanford dot edu. Fan mail and sternly worded complaints are equally welcome.