Bay to Breakers will go boozeless

July 8, 2010, 12:34 a.m.

San Francisco’s famed Bay to Breakers Race will be alcohol-free for its centennial race next May 15.

Due to numerous complaints by residents along the 7.46-mile route and the hospitalization of 30 intoxicated participants this year, race organizers have decided to prohibit all alcoholic beverages during the race.

This decision also comes on the heels of an announcement that insurance company ING will be pulling out as the race’s chief corporate sponsor after five years. Race organizers believe that, although their decision was not provoked by the departure of ING, making the race safer by banning alcohol will make finding a new sponsor easier.

Race Executive Director Angela Fang said that keg floats will be banned and violators will be arrested, cited and fined, according to a report by the San Jose Mercury News.

The 99-year-old, 12-km footrace, held annually in San Francisco, Calif., is one of the world’s largest and oldest races. The course leads thousands of contestants from the northeast end of the downtown area, near The Embarcadero, to the west end of the city and Ocean Beach. In addition to its featured world-class athletes, the race has also become famous for participants wearing crazy costumes, or even no costumes at all.

—  Jessica Lieberman