The Daily brief: July 14, 2010

July 14, 2010, 4:07 p.m.

Web Whiz | Stanford offers a graduate engineering degree available online — and other schools are taking notice. With the University of California‘s proposal to offer online bachelor’s degrees, Stanford’s program gets attention as the question arises: what is needed for a top-tier school’s online program to be practical and comparable to a traditional degree?

Hospital Headache | The Portola Valley Town Council is the next to weigh in on the Stanford Hospital expansion plan; Patty Fisher of the Mercury News offers a comprehensive look at the common sense behind the hospital brouhaha.

Good Luck | Redshirt sophomore Andrew Luck was named on the Manning Award watch list sponsored by Allstate Sugar Bowl that honors the year’s 30 top college quarterbacks.

Money Talks | “All my money is in the stock market,” said economics professor Nicholas Bloom in an article in BusinessWeek. Bloom’s work shows that despite uncertainty cramping economic growth, the setback is usually temporary — and active investing is a smart idea.

Crew Champs | Three Stanford women’s rowers were named to the US national under 23 rowing team: Lindsay Meyer ’12, Grace Luczak ’11, and Julie Smith ’12. All three were members of the NCAA-winning women’s  varsity crew team this year and last year.

Jail House Rock | Happy Bastille Day, France.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest.

Ellen Huet is currently a senior staff writer at The Daily; she joined the staff in fall 2008 and served one volume as managing news editor in fall and early winter of 2010-2011. Reach her at ehuet at stanford dot edu. Fan mail and sternly worded complaints are equally welcome.