The Daily brief: July 16, 2010

July 16, 2010, 4:11 p.m.

Ciao, Cupertino | Hewlett-Packard, computer tech giant that holds Stanford ties through its alumni founders, is closing its Cupertino offices and gradually moving workers to the Palo Alto headquarters over the next two years.

Closing Comments | Palo Alto Medical Foundation CEO David Druker, who oversaw much of the foundation’s expansion in the region, is battling lung cancer, and in his last interview, commented on his regrets on not finalizing an affiliation with Stanford Hospital.

Rules in Lake Lag | Visitors are being reminded that dogs must be leashed—and that no diving is allowed, although that seems self-evident—in Lake Lag, mostly to protect the habitat for California tiger salamanders.

Teaching Medicine | Stanford Medicine Magazine explores the new ideas and techniques that arise from teaching hospitals such as Stanford’s.

Careful Copies | Stanford acquired a collection of reproductions of ancient Chinese books, on display starting in fall in the Stanford Auxiliary Library.

Bieber Fever | In other news around the world, Justin Bieber’s hit “Baby” — grudgingly admitted as a Daily office favorite — broke the record for most views ever on YouTube at 246 million, narrowly defeating Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance.” Beliebers, unite.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest.

Ellen Huet is currently a senior staff writer at The Daily; she joined the staff in fall 2008 and served one volume as managing news editor in fall and early winter of 2010-2011. Reach her at ehuet at stanford dot edu. Fan mail and sternly worded complaints are equally welcome.