Zimmerman: NCAA needs more consistent disciplinary measures

Aug. 5, 2010, 12:27 a.m.

Let’s roleplay for a minute. You’re a big shot at the NCAA. It is your job to ensure that all things run swimmingly, and that one of the most powerful amateur athletic organizations in the world maintains a respectable image by practicing what it preaches — integrity and sportsmanship, both on and off the field.

And let’s say that included in this job is the role of disciplinarian. You are the one that determines when, how and to whom punishment is administered. You’ve already disallowed Oklahoma State star receiver Dez Bryant from participating last season for “failing to fully disclose” his interactions with former NFL star Deion Sanders. Now I present you with another player, this time a star quarterback, who was not only charged with the theft from a fraternity house, but also arrested on drug and traffic charges.

Any person with a trace of common sense in your position wouldn’t even hesitate when making this decision, right? I mean, if Bryant gets the hammer for talking to a guy affiliated with the NFL, then someone who violates the law three times on some pretty serious charges should, at the very least, miss some games.

Oh, you want to let him start for an SEC school instead?

The case at hand is of former Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli. Those of you too elated by Stanford’s 51-42 victory over the Ducks on November 7, 2009 probably forgot all about Masoli’s performance that day — 334 yards passing, 55 rushing and four total touchdowns. Needless to say, the dude is pretty good at what he does.

Unfortunately for both Jeremiah and the town of Eugene, Masoli eventually succumbed to the evil spirits that seemed to consume the entire Ducks football program last season. After his first offense, burglarizing the Oregon chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Masoli was banned by new coach Chip Kelly for the entire 2010 season. However, after being arrested just months later for driving with a suspended license and for possession of marijuana, he was dismissed from the team altogether.

The guy was given a second chance after his first slipup. Masoli could have taken the route of teammate LeGarrette Blount, whose famous punch in Boise on opening night earned him nearly a full season on the pine. The difference is that Blount miraculously kept his nose out of trouble during his time in the doghouse. Masoli did not.

After these events I was inclined to think that his college football playing days were done, along with any real hope of playing at the next level. Yet Masoli was given an almost hysterical option to avoid terminating his career. If he finished his undergraduate degree (sociology) and was accepted to a graduate program not offered at Oregon, he would be allowed to walk on at his new school.

And he did just that. Rumors turned into reality, and if everything pans out, Jeremiah Masoli will be the frontrunner for the starting quarterback position at Ole Miss. If you were like me, you were more intrigued with the exclusive graduate program he would be enrolled in at Mississippi than where he would be playing football. Considering his educational background, I was inclined to think he’d harness his writing and thinking skills, possibly delving into a particular branch of social psychology or philosophy.

Masoli did not disappoint, choosing the most obvious master’s program available: Parks and Recreation Management.

Fair enough. I guess I see it as a good fit; Masoli has demonstrated an excellent understanding of greenery and foliage — just ask the cop from the second arrest. His quarterback skills give him plenty of experience in management, and from the incident at SAE, he’s clearly determined to succeed even under a tight budget.

All jokes aside, the NCAA is out of its mind.

The message being sent here is not one of integrity and sportsmanship, of being a role model both on and off the field. All that is being delivered is the idea that if you’re good enough at your sport, you’ll get another chance, regardless of how many times you screw up. You want to send a positive message? Get the kid some help. Try to help him understand the foundation of his reckless behavior. If he really is concerned with the direction he is headed, he would be receptive to this assistance. At the very least, make him sit out a year to think things over and demonstrate that he can get back on track.

But he’s not missing any time, and come late August he will be competing among many of the nation’s best teams for an SEC Title. The Rebels have no chance in the perennially stacked conference, but this is simply about the principle. If the NCAA truly wants to distinguish itself as a respectable and dignified amateur organization, then it needs to develop an ounce of disciplinary consistency. Until then, it will continue to simply look like the NFL’s minor league.

And I do feel a little bad for picking on one guy. Jeremiah is not the sole example of questionable punishment. In fact, how can I hate on a guy for wanting to pursue graduate education? However if you are like me, and you probably are, you see this more as a yearlong NFL tryout than a genuine pursuit of a master’s degree.

Call me crazy, but if the NCAA is doing the right thing, then Jeremiah Masoli is the next Ranger Rick.