The Daily brief: Aug. 10, 2010

La Tourette de Force | Stanford’s Chad La Tourette ’12 swam his way to his first championship on Saturday, finishing eight seconds ahead of the second-place winner in the 1500 m freestyle.

VC Stats | A recent independent study found that women comprise only 8% of internet start-up founders. The study found that Stanford, tied with Cornell, was the most popular undergraduate alma mater of start-up founders, and the second-most popular graduate school behind Harvard.

Gumshoe | Gumball Capital president Travis Kiefer ’11 is running seven marathons on seven continents to raise money and awareness for Gumball and microfinance organization Kiva.

Bass Hunter | Bass super-legend Victor Wooten graced campus with his presence last spring, and he’s back to bassline-groove his way back into your heart—if you’re attending NSO, that is. He’ll be using music and an interactive program to teach incoming freshmen about community service.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest. Note: it’s maintenance time for our e-mail digest. We’ll post an announcement when it’s back in action. Meanwhile, our RSS feed may be helpful: http://bit.ly/DailyRSS. Thanks for your patience.

Ellen Huet is currently a senior staff writer at The Daily; she joined the staff in fall 2008 and served one volume as managing news editor in fall and early winter of 2010-2011. Reach her at ehuet at stanford dot edu. Fan mail and sternly worded complaints are equally welcome.