Review: David Archuleta’s ‘The Other Side of Down’

Review: David Archuleta's 'The Other Side of Down'
(Courtesy of David Archuleta)

Review: David Archuleta's 'The Other Side of Down'Remember “American Idol” season seven cutie David Archuleta (AKA “Archie”)? Hint: he’s the David that didn’t win. Well, it’s been almost three years since Archuleta’s near miss with superstardom, and he’s proven that he doesn’t need a coveted title to cement his place in the music industry. Just this week, Archuleta released his long-anticipated second album (if you don’t count his Christmas CD, that is). Entitled “The Other Side of Down,” this album is a charming throwback to the 90s, and a tribute to pop in its purest form.

Contrary to his self-titled album “David Archuleta,” which the ex-“Idol” contestant was forced to produce within months of his stint on the show, “The Other Side of Down” took over a year to make. The extra time appears to have been well spent, as almost all of these new tracks were written by Archie himself, and the album as a whole displays a new level of musical confidence that was not present on the first release. Archuleta’s silky voice sparkles on the up-tempo tracks and shines on the album’s ballads, making for very pleasant and easy listening.

Don’t let the poppy nature of the album fool you, though – his kid’s got serious talent. In a musical niche currently defined by artists such as Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers, it is wonderfully refreshing to hear a voice soar above the noise. If there is one thing that sets Archuleta apart from other artists his age, it is his unfaltering ability to truly sing any song he chooses to perform. Forget auto-tune, rap interludes and over-produced beats – all Archuleta really needs to sell his music is his angelic voice.

Take the album’s first ballad, “Falling Stars,” for example. The melody is lovely in its simplicity and the lyrics suitably sappy, but it is Archuleta’s gorgeous falsetto and flawless runs that lend the song its true charm. Archuleta’s smooth sound is also audible in the album’s title track, “The Other Side of Down.” The optimistic vibe of the song is complemented by its catchy beat and Archuleta’s crisp tone. The following track, “Something ‘Bout Love,” which is rumored to be the album’s first single, is equally catchy and also flaunts an infectious chorus and lyrics that are sure to make you smile. “Elevator” is the most lyrically driven song of the lot, painting a picture of Archuleta’s battle with indecision and his new-found confidence. If you’re looking for a song to get stuck in your head, skip to the next track, “Stomping the Roses,” which will have you singing along before the song has even finished its first play.

Later in the album, “Parachutes and Airplanes” and “Look Around” go back to the basics of pop, with their sunny melodies and light rhythms. “Complain” and “Things Are Gonna Get Better” round off the album with their winding melodies and inspirational messages. Finally, the closing track, “My Kind of Perfect,” finds Archuleta singing about his search for love and is sure to have girls everywhere melting in their shoes.

While “The Other Side of Down” is not the most inventive pop record ever made, it is a high-quality, aesthetically appealing release that is guaranteed to put you in a great mood. After all, between Archuleta’s velvet voice and adorable face, who wouldn’t crack a smile?