Police Blotter

This report covers a selection of incidents from Oct. 27 to Nov. 2 as recorded in the Stanford Department of Public Safety bulletin.

A series of bike thefts occurred near Tresidder Student Union, Toyon Hall, Burnham Pavilion and the Main Quad over this period.

Wednesday, Oct. 27

A graduate student at 340 Olmsted Rd. reported receiving a possibly threatening e-mail from a person in Turkey.

Between 3:15 and 5 p.m., an unknown suspect broke the passenger window of a vehicle and stole a backpack from the back of the car.

Between 7 p.m. and 8:16 p.m., a University employee reported seeing white smoke coming from a basement room in the Beckman Center. The Palo Alto Fire Department responded and determined it was likely water vapor. No damage occurred.

Between 7:40 p.m. and 7:45 p.m., unknown suspects stole an unattended laptop from a dining table at Stern Hall dining.

Thursday, Oct. 28

A vehicle was reported stolen at 9:15 a.m. from the north side of the Law School.

Between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m., unknown suspects stole a longboard from a lecture hall in Building 320 while the board’s owner was attending a lecture. Sometimes you should just sleep in and skip geology.

Between Oct. 25 at 12:30 p.m. and Oct. 26 at 9 a.m., unknown suspects stole a vacuum cleaner from the housekeeping storage closet in Barnes Court.

Friday, Oct. 29

A victim in the Gates building reported that he had been receiving incoherent and rambling e-mail messages from another person. The reporting party did not fear for his safety.

At the intersection of Campus Drive and Wilbur Way, a man getting a head start on Halloween celebrations was cited and released for altering an imitation firearm by painting an Airsoft pistol to make it look more realistic.

Saturday, Oct. 30

Between 9:30 and 11:30 a.m., the victim’s U-locked bike was stolen from the arcade in front of Burnham Pavilion.

At 5 p.m. at Parking Structure 5, a woman reported being threatened by another person and feared for her safety.

Between 9 p.m. and 12 p.m., the victim’s U-locked bike was stolen from the courtyard of Jenkins House, and an unlocked bike was stolen from the bike rack in front of Toyon Hall.

Sunday, Oct. 31

Between Oct. 30 at 10:45 p.m. and Oct. 31 at  12:00 a.m., unknown suspects stole the victim’s wallet while the victim attended Mausoleum Party. The thief was reportedly so light-fingered he may have been a ghost.

Between Oct. 30 at 8:30 p.m. and Oct. 31 at 10:30 a.m., a U-locked bike was stolen from Slavianskii Dom.

Between 1 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., a U-locked bike was stolen from the bike rack at Naranja.

Monday, Nov. 1

Between 3:30 and 6:30 p.m., a victim’s U-locked bike was stolen from the bike rack outside building 360.

At 8:00 p.m. the reporting party said she believed she was being followed by an unknown male suspect around Tresidder Student Union. The male left the scene and remained unidentified.

Tuesday, Nov. 2

Between Oct. 23 and Oct. 28, unknown suspects entered the victim’s dormitory room in Crothers Memorial Hall and stole a laptop case containing two cameras and two lenses.

Between 1 a.m. and 2 p.m., the victim’s U-locked bike was stolen from a bike rack adjacent to the CoHo.