Stanford and Cal ballroom teams kick off Big Game week

Next week, Stanford and Cal will face off on the football field, but tonight, they meet on the dance floor as friendly foes. The two schools’ ballroom teams will jumpstart the countdown to next Saturday’s game at Allegro Ballroom in Emeryville for the first ever Cal-Stanford Big Dance (not to be confused with Stanford’s annual all-night Big Dance in the spring). Potentially the first of many such gatherings, this year’s inaugural event stands to be incorporated into the decades-long tradition of rivalry and gaiety associated with Big Game week.

The Cal-Stanford “Big Dance” was conceived and planned by the staff of Allegro Ballroom, a non-profit dance studio and special-event venue, in conjunction with the Stanford Ballroom Dance Team and the UC-Berkeley Ballroom Dancers. Though the two teams frequently cross paths at competitions, tonight’s proceedings are meant to bring them together to mix, mingle and be merry in a laid-back and convivial atmosphere, and to promote ballroom dancing on both campuses.

The evening will consist of social dancing, school spirit and, of course, some friendly competition: team members will participate in the straight-leg cha-cha while attempting to keep a straight face, lest they be disqualified for cracking a smile; and women will take the lead and sweep the men off their feet in the role-reversal rumba.

A comic spin on ballroom classics, this repertoire of “fun dances” on the docket for tonight is a lighthearted and good-humored take on conventional competition pieces. In lieu of strict technique and meticulous partnership, couples will focus on fun and be judged accordingly on their propensity for parody and ability to think outside the ballroom box.

Sprinkled in among the “fun dances,” both teams will have an opportunity to put on mini showcases to highlight the best dancers from both sides of the Bay. One such showcase will even feature a mixed roster, when a Stanford lead and Berkeley follow pair up for a joint performance, Tony and Maria style.

The evening’s victor, to be declared by the judges of Allegro Ballroom, will return to its respective campus bearing a trophy. It will be theirs to display proudly until the teams reconvene for another round of jovial competition in honor of the next Big Game week.

Book-ended by general dancing and festivities, the event is open to students, alumni and the local community, be they social dance enthusiasts or curious spectators. There will be ample opportunity for inspired audience members to break out their own moves following the main event.

Tickets can be purchased at the door tonight at Allegro Ballroom in Emeryville, $5 for ballroom team members, $9 for non-members. School spirit is encouraged, so be sure to leave all blue and gold attire at home and represent with some Cardinal red.