Stanford football edges ASU, 17-13

In its closest game so far this season, the No. 6 Stanford football team defeated Arizona State, 17-13, on Saturday night.

Uncharacteristically for a Pac-10 contest, the game was decided chiefly on the play of each team’s defense. The Cardinal (9-1, 6-1 Pac-10) posted another strong outing on the defensive side of the ball, holding Arizona State (4-6, 2-5) to just 268 yards of total offense and limiting it to one conversion on nine third down tries.

However, Stanford’s offense didn’t achieve the high level of play it had become accustomed to. Despite racking up 420 yards and holding an absurd advantage in time of possession with over 42 minutes, the Cardinal could only score 17 points, and was forced into two turnovers and four punts. Stanford also hit one field goal on two attempts, both by senior kicker Nate Whitaker.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Andrew Luck, a Heisman Trophy candidate, had another prolific passing day, going for 292 yards on 33-for-41 passing. However, Luck was responsible for both Stanford turnovers, fumbling the ball on a blindside sack as well as throwing a pick.

The Sun Devils were officially eliminated from bowl eligibility with the loss, while Stanford can keep its sights set on a BCS bowl berth.

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.