BRIEF: Stanford women’s swimming starts main season with victory

The Stanford women’s swimming and diving team opened up its winter schedule on Saturday with a convincing 143-105 victory over Pacific (5-2) at Avery Aquatic Center. The No. 1 Cardinal (4-0) won every event over the Tigers.

Stanford finished last season in second place at the NCAA Tournament, losing by a whisker to Florida.

Prior to its meet against Pacific, the Cardinal had an early meet against San Jose State on Oct. 1, easily outclassing the Spartans, 187-100. Stanford also hosted Michigan and Florida for a three-way meet on Nov. 5-6, defeating the Wolverines, 286-124, and beating the Gators, 227-175.

After losing two of its stars, Julia Smit and Elaine Breeden, to graduation after last season, Stanford was looking for swimmers to replace them. Five swimmers shined, winning two races each—freshmen Andie Taylor and Felicia Lee, sophomore Andi Murez and seniors Kelsey Ditto and Liz Smith.

The Cardinal’s relay teams also got 2011 off to a strong start, convincingly winning both the 200-yard medley relay and the 200-yard freestyle relay. Juniors Betsy Webb and Sam Woodward performed prominently on both relay teams.

With the Tigers out of the way, Stanford will look ahead to Pac-10 competition. The team’s next meet is on Jan. 21 in Tucson, where it will take on Arizona. It will then face Arizona State in Tempe on Jan. 22.

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.