Op-Ed: The Reality of Dr. King’s Dream: Beyond REM Sleep

Opinion by and

One of the central lessons of Dr. William Dement’s popular “Sleep & Dreams” course is that dreaming is one of our most basic and necessary human functions. Though there is no universally accepted purpose of dreaming, it is certain that we need rapid eye movement (REM) sleep in order to function; and it is during REM sleep that dreams occur. Some purport that dreams are the random actions of our brain when our bodies are in a state of paralysis. Others scholars hypothesize that dreams are manifestations of what we consciously and unconsciously desire.

Either way, dreams help envisage alternate realities, which can come true, but not without intentional devotion and a willingness to take action to accomplish our visions. This is relevant as we approach the 25th anniversary of observing Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday as a federal holiday. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech is widely recognized as one of our country’s great orations. Through this speech, his work, and other statements, King stood not only for racial justice, but also for human rights, economic uplift, civil rights, (which by extension lead to environmental justice), international peace, and spiritual freedom. His appeal is wide and rich, but if one could take any one lasting lesson from his life, it is this: human progress takes constant action.

Our nation first observed this holiday in 1986, and President Clinton turned the day into a Day of Service in 1994.  Since that time the holiday has often been referred to as “A day ON, not a day off.” The Haas Center has compiled a list of observances and opportunities to serve, which can be found here.

Of course, this holiday would be a rather hollow endorsement of King’s dream if it becomes our once-a-year contribution to making a difference. Rather, we hope that this holiday sparks a desire to choose action over apathy, to work consistently toward sustainable improvements. Let’s not live in a state of paralysis, with an annual marking of King’s passionate 48 year-old dream.  Let’s commit to moving every day toward his goals for society. On this January 17th, we hope that you’ll take time to reflect on the meaning of King’s work as a model for service and apply it to your life with the “fierce urgency of now.”

Matt Miller ’12, Stanford NAACP Co-President, RA at the MLK Jr. Institute

Thomas Schnaubelt, Executive Director, Haas Center for Public Service