BRIEF: Top-ranked women’s swimming continues home dominance

Stanford women’s swimming won its 33rd consecutive dual meet, and 22nd straight at home, as the Cardinal dispatched of ranked UCLA and USC teams over the weekend.

The No. 1 Cardinal (8-0), whose seniors will now end their careers with a perfect home record, first took on No. 21 UCLA on Friday. Of the 16 events, Stanford won 10 on its way to a 169-131 win. Leading the way for the Cardinal was junior Sam Woodward, who won the 50-yard freestyle and contributed to wins by both relay teams. Woodward anchored the 200 medley relay and led off the 200 free relay, along with placing third in the 100 butterfly.

The only other Stanford swimmer with multiple victories in the meet was freshman Felicia Lee, who showed her versatility with wins in both the 100 backstroke and the 100 free, as well as the butterfly leg in the winning medley relay.

Senior Meg Hostage won both diving events for the Cardinal, and freshman Stephanie Phipps placed second and third in the one-meter and three-meter, respectively.

Stanford did not have much time to enjoy its victory, though, as it had an even tougher task the very next day. Once again, the Cardinal was up to the challenge, easily defeating No. 3 USC, 161.5-136.5, to cap off its home season.

Two of Stanford’s five seniors had particularly strong performances in their final collegiate home match. Hostage once again swept the two diving events, while Phipps placed third in both. Senior Kate Dwelley also had quite a day, winning the 100 and 200 free and anchoring the exhibition 400 free relay win. Dwelley finished .03 seconds behind Woodward in the 50 free as well, barely missing out on another victory.

The Cardinal’s best event of the day was the 200 backstroke, which Stanford swept. Freshman Maya DiRado won the event, followed by sophomores Jessie Hammes and Megan Fischer-Colbrie. DiRado also won the 100 backstroke, placed second in the 200 IM and led off a second-place finish in the 200 medley relay.

Stanford has a diving-only meet at BYU on Feb. 11, followed by a full meet at California on Feb. 12 before the Pac-10 Championships in late February.