W. Basketball opens tournament with win over UC-Davis

Playing in front of one of its biggest crowds all season, the top-seeded Stanford women’s basketball team made the most of its home-court advantage on Saturday afternoon as it opened the NCAA Tournament with an 86-59 win over UC-Davis.

After trading baskets with the Aggies (24-9, 10-6 Big West) in the opening minutes, junior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike powered the No. 2 Cardinal (30-2, 18-0 Pac-10) to a commanding lead with 22 points and seven rebounds.

Junior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike, above, led both teams with 22 points. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

The Cardinal couldn’t pull away early on, struggling to find a rhythm against the Aggies’ unshakable zone defense. UC-Davis managed to pressure Stanford’s long-range shooters on the perimeter and prevent it from passing the ball down low, which stifled the Cardinal until its three-point shots started falling. Stanford finished the day with 13 baskets from beyond the arc in 22 attempts, led by a 4-for-5 performance from junior shooting guard Lindy LaRocque.

Senior center Paige Mintun led UC-Davis with 17 points – a silver lining in what proved to be her final game. The contest was career-ending for Aggies coach Sandy Simpson as well, whom Stanford’s Tara VanDerveer embraced on the sideline as time expired.

The win pushes Stanford one step closer to a fourth consecutive appearance in the Final Four, and puts the team just one win away from finishing another perfect year at Maples Pavilion. If the Cardinal defeats St. John’s (22-10) on Monday night, the Stanford seniors will leave the Farm with an undefeated record on their home court.

Ninth-seeded St. John’s, which defeated No. 8 Texas Tech 55-50 in Saturday’s opening game, will face Stanford on Monday at 6:30 p.m.

Nate Adams

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.