BRIEF: Senior Jeanette Pohlen leads trio of Cardinal All-Americans

The Associated Press named Stanford senior guard Jeanette Pohlen a first-team All-American yesterday. Junior forward Nnemkadi Ogwumike was placed on the second-team and senior forward Kayla Pedersen was named to the honorable mention squad.

In her second season playing the point guard position after coming to Stanford as a shooting guard, Pohlen led the Cardinal to a 29-2 regular season record. In this breakout season, Pohlen averaged 14.6 points and 4.8 assists and was named Pac-10 Player of the Year. She also recently set Stanford’s single-season record for most three-pointers (she currently has 93).

It was the second consecutive season that Nnemkadi Oguwmike was named a second-team All-American. The Cypress, Texas native averaged 17 points and 7.6 rebounds a game this year. She was also named to the All-Pac-10 team.

Pedersen, Stanford’s jack-of-all-trades, averaged 12.8 points and 7.9 rebounds this year. Her performances on both ends of the floor earned her a second consecutive berth on the honorable mention All-American team.

Joining Pohlen on the first team are Connecticut senior Maya Moore, Baylor sophomore Brittney Griner, Ohio State senior Jantel Lavender and Texas A&M senior Danielle Adams.

Stanford’s season isn’t done yet. The Cardinal plays in the Final Four this weekend against Texas A&M.