No. 13 softball downs San Jose State 3-1

Senior pitcher Ashley Chinn took a shutout into the seventh and freshman left fielder Corey Hanewich hit a decisive base-clearing double as the No. 13 Stanford softball team downed visiting San Jose State at Smith Family Stadium yesterday.

Senior pitcher Ashley Chinn, above, threw a five-hit complete game in Stanford's 3-1 win (IAN GARCIA-DOTY/The Stanford Daily).

Chinn and Spartan starter Janessa Gutierrez traded zeros through the first four innings. The Cardinal, however, started the bottom of the fifth with consecutive singles by sophomore right fielder Teagan Gerhart, senior pinch hitter Melisa Koutz and junior center fielder Sarah Hassman. That set the table for Hanewich, who doubled down the left field line, scoring all three runners and chasing Gutierrez.

The three runs were all Chinn needed. The Spartans spoiled her shutout bid with two outs in the seventh, but with the tying run standing at second, Chinn coaxed second baseman Cheryl Freitas into a game-ending groundout to shortstop. Chinn finished the game having allowed five hits while striking out seven and walking none. Gerhart was the only Cardinal player with multiple hits; she went 2-3.

In addition to her exploits at the plate, Gerhart was named Pac-10 Pitcher of the Week for her performance against UCLA this weekend. She pitched in all three games of the series for a total of 21.1 innings pitched and posted an ERA of 1.97 while striking out 20 Bruin hitters, leading the Cardinal to a series win against the sixth-ranked Bruins. This is the second time Gerhart has won the award this season, and third time in her career.

Gerhart’s teammate, junior shortstop Ashley Hansen, was also named Pac-10 Player of the Week. On the weekend Hansen hit .615 (8-13) with two doubles, three RBI and two runs scored. It was the second time Hansen has won the award in her career.

Stanford is scheduled to host Oregon State this weekend in a three-game series beginning Friday at 7 p.m.