University announces Community Partnership Award

Project Safety Net, Peninsula Family Advocacy Program (FAP) and Redwood Environmental Academy of Leadership (REAL) have been named the recipients of the 2011 Community Partnership Awards. David Demarest, vice president for public affairs, will present the awards on May 10.

Project Safety Net is a task force that includes parents and professionals from nearly 30 partner organizations. It is focused on education, prevention and intervention with the objective of creating a safety net and suicide prevention programs for youth and teens in Palo Alto.

FAP is a partnership among the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County, Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital and Ravenswood Family Health Center. The group, which has been recognized nationally for its efforts, provides free legal assistance, education and referrals to low-income families and pregnant women from San Mateo and Santa Clara counties.

REAL is a Sequoia Union High School District academy program for environmental science education and stewardship. It engages students in hands-on ecology-based learning, creek restoration and research. REAL grew out of a Stanford K-12 Initiative grant called “Ecology: Learning by Doing and Making a Difference.”

The Community Partnership Awards, established in 2002, were created by the Office of Public Affairs.

-Billy Gallagher