BRIEF: Men’s soccer defeats San Jose State in spring opener

By and

The Stanford men’s soccer team opened its spring campaign with a 2-1 victory over visiting San Jose State Thursday night at Laird Q. Cagan Stadium.

BRIEF: Men's soccer defeats San Jose State in spring opener
Redshirt junior midfielder Garrett Gunther (with the ball in red) scored the first goal of Stanford men's soccer's spring season Thursday night against San Jose State. The Cardinal added an Alexander Binnie penalty kick and held off the Spartans 2-1 (KOR VANG/The Stanford Daily).

The Cardinal played tentatively in the opening minutes, but the new defensive quartet of juniors Tommy Ryan and Adoni Levine, sophomore Hunter Gorskie and freshman Jack Ryan played very well in their first game together. Stanford is replacing graduating seniors All-American Bobby Warshaw and All-Pac-10 selection Ryan Thomas, both of whom were drafted and are now playing in the MLS.

Redshirt junior Garrett Gunther opened the team’s spring scoring account with a nice run midway through the first half, slotting the ball past the Spartan keeper. But play didn’t really open up until the second half, when head coach Bret Simon substituted freely as he tried out various personnel combinations.

Junior Alexander Binne was brought down on a breakaway in the penalty box as the speed of the game increased in the second half. Binne stepped up and finished off the ensuing penalty kick himself for a 2-0 Stanford lead.

But San Jose State struck back with a penalty of its own when Levine and Gorskie converged on an attacker and Levine slid in hard, bringing him down inside the box. The dive of redshirt freshman Galen Perkins (who replaced starting freshman Drew Hutchins at halftime) could not stop the penalty kick, and the Spartans drew within one goal.

But the Cardinal held firm late in the game, keeping possession to seal the 2-1 victory.

Sophomore midfielder Dersu Abolfathi felt the team had met many of its goals for the night.

“We set some goals to play with confidence, with strength and with tempo, and I’d say we are fairly happy with our progress and the results,” he said. “It wasn’t the best game we’ve ever played, but it was a good first step.”

Stanford welcomes the San Jose Earthquakes of the MLS to Laird Q. Cagan Stadium on Tuesday night as the spring season rolls on.