BRIEF: Lacrosse clinches share of conference title, No. 1 seed

The Stanford women’s lacrosse team had a strong weekend on the road, prevailing over Oregon 18-13 on Friday in Eugene. With the win, the No. 7 Cardinal clinched at least a share of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) title and the top seed in the MPSF Tournament.

Senior midfielder Leslie Foard led Stanford with five goals, all on free-position shots, en route to Stanford's 18-13 win over Oregon. (IAN GARCIA-DOTY/The Stanford Daily)

Oregon came out of the gate strong, taking a 3-1 lead in the first six minutes. Stanford responded with six of the next seven goals to open up a 7-4 lead. The Cardinal never relinquished its lead, as senior midfielder Karen Nesbitt scored the first three goals of the second half to put the game out of reach.

Senior midfielder Leslie Foard converted all five of her free-position shots to lead Stanford, and she added an assist, three draw controls and four forced turnovers. Nesbitt had four goals, while senior attacker Sarah Flynn and sophomore midfielder Jacquelyn Candelaria each had three.

For the game, the Cardinal outshot the Ducks 35-26 and had only 14 turnovers compared to Oregon’s 23.

Just two games remain in the regular season: the MPSF finale at UC-Davis on Wednesday and the regular-season finale at Northwestern on Sunday. Then it’s on to the MPSF Tournament in Moraga, Calif., where the Cardinal will have the No. 1 seed.