BRIEF: Men’s golf plays host to Pac-10 Championships

The Stanford Golf Course will host the 2011 Pac-10 Men’s Golf Championships, which are set to begin tomorrow. All Pac-10 teams will be represented as Stanford vies for its first team title since 1994.

Players are scheduled to play a practice round Thursday before teeing up 36 holes on Friday and 18 each on Saturday and Sunday. The first Friday tee times are at 8 a.m.

Junior David Chung, above, and the Stanford men's golf team hope to bring the Pac-10 title back to the Farm for the first time since 1994 (Stanford Daily File Photo).

Washington is in town to defend the team title that it won for the second consecutive season last year in Tempe, Ariz. The tournament will also see the return of Cal senior Eric Mina, who will defend his individual crown from last season.

UCLA is the team favorite this weekend, as the Bruins are ranked third in the nation. Four other Pac-10 teams—Cal at 18, Stanford at 20, USC at 21 and Oregon at 22—are also ranked in the Golfweek/Sagarin poll’s top 25.

The nation’s No. 2 and No. 3 players will also be on display this weekend, as Stanford freshman Andrew Yun and UCLA freshman Patrick Cantlay are both shooting for a Pac-10 title in their first collegiate seasons. Yun has won one tournament this season and finished in the top five in four others.

This is the ninth time the Stanford Golf Course will host the Pac-10 Championships. The last time the Championships were held at Stanford, Arizona’s Ricky Barnes, now one of the top players on the PGA Tour, took home the individual title with a score of 268 (-16). USC grabbed the team championship, one of its record 18 Pac-10 team titles.