Highlights from the San Francisco International Film Festival 2011

The festival continues through to May 5, but here are a few of my favorites thus far:

Highlights from the San Francisco International Film Festival 2011Black Bread

Set in a Catalan village following the Spanish Civil War, Agustí Villaronga’s film is a thrilling coming-of-age story. A young boy witnesses a brutal murder, which instigates a series of events that will forever change his life. Featuring remarkable performances by its juvenile leads, “Black Bread” carries themes that are sure to resonate across cultural and temporal barriers.

For people who like “Pan’s Labyrinth.”

Courtesy of the San Francisco Film Society

The Trip

The latest feature by Michael Winterbottom reunites actors/comedians Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon as they embark on a bromantic adventure through England’s Lake Country in search of fine dining. Rife with dry banter and spot-on celebrity impressions, “The Trip” is British humor at its best. But beneath the sarcasm and self-deprecation lies an undertone that deliciously mocks the pretentiousness of modern haute cuisine.

For people who like “Sideways.”

Better This World

Kelly Duane de la Vega and Katie Galloway’s documentary, which covers the arrests and subsequent trials of two young activists at the 2008 Republican National Convention, exposes the uglier side of our justice system. The film weaves its narrative across a diverse range of perspectives; by the end, viewers, as much as the defendants, will be left wondering what it means to be right.

For people who like “Bowling for Columbine.”

Courtesy of Focus Features

Beginners

In Mike Mills’s semi-autobiographical second feature, a middle-aged artist grapples with his father’s terminal cancer and the revelation that, in decades of marriage to his late wife, he was gay the entire time. As his father attempts to make the most of his remaining time, the artist, through this newly defined relationship, learns more about life and love. Its stellar cast features Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer and Melanie Laurent.

For everyone.