GSB hosts TEDx Silicon Valley conference

A large number of luminaries and entrepreneurs descended on the Graduate School of Business (GSB) on Saturday for the TEDx Silicon Valley conference. The theme of the event was “Living by Numbers,” which was described by conference organizers as “numbers transformed into information and then morphed into wisdom and eventually action.”

The conference was hosted in partnership with the GSB’s Center for Social Innovation.

While held under the aegis of the TED organization, which hosts the popular TED Conference and TEDTalks, TEDx events are independently organized and held around the world. Last Saturday’s conference was the second hosted by TEDx Silicon Valley — its first conference was in Dec. 2009, also at the GSB.

The main attraction of the conference was presentations by 26 different speakers, drawn from a variety of backgrounds. Silicon Valley entrepreneurs and academics from a number of universities were featured, with several other speakers hailing from nonprofit organizations.

Prominent presenters included Ron Gutman, the founder and CEO of health-information company HealthTap, Chris Anderson, the editor in chief of Wired magazine, symbolic systems Prof. Bernardo Huberman and Kriss Deiglmeier, the founder and executive director of the Center for Social Innovation.

— Kabir Sawhney