BRIEF: Men’s golf in fourth place at Central Regional

Led by senior Graham Brockington and junior David Chung, who both shot two-under rounds of 69, the men’s golf team finished the first round of the NCAA Central Regional with an even-par team score of 284.
The Cardinal is seven shots back of first-round leader Illinois at the tournament held at the Wolf Run Golf Club in Zionsville, Ind. Only the top five teams advance to the NCAA Championships, which begin May 31st in Stillwater, Okla, but Stanford is in good shape at one shot clear of fifth-place after missing a couple of opportunities to improve.
Chung and Brockington are tied for eighth place individually, but Chung was four under before bogeying the final two holes. And Steve Ziegler had a steady round with one birdie but just two bogeys for an opening round 72, good for 25th place at one over par.
Second-round play will continue at 8 a.m. EST today, when the Cardinal will be paired with Tennessee and Iowa.

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at [email protected]