The Daily brief: June 28, 2011

Stanford Hospital | Stanford University Medical Center may temporarily relocate a day care while constructing the hospital’s proposed parking garage in response to complaints by day care parents. Parents, primarily Stanford employees and professors, attended last week’s Palo Alto City Council meeting with their children and voiced their concerns about the safety hazards the day care would face from noise and pollution produced by construction. Stanford and the city decided to delay the final vote on the expansion project until next week to address the issue.

Pipelines | PG&E pipelines will be testing and working on campus gas pipelines in the Junipero Serra Boulevard over the next couple of weeks. The University announced that University utility employees will be overseeing the work. Next week the same region will also see the addition of high-speed fiber optic cable lines for Google. PG&E and the contractor discussed plans to monitor any potential crossing of the PG&E lines.

Endowments | Data released by U.S. News & World Report concluded that Stanford had the fourth largest endowment of any college in the United States in 2009, after Harvard, Yale and Princeton respectively. Harvard’s 2009 endowment was almost 87 times the national average.

Overheard | “It almost becomes an arms race for students to do a little  bit more than their classmates and their peers, and I think that is a problem,” he said. “We want to see students who really are doing the things they love to do.” — Bob Patterson, Director of Admissions at Stanford on students and college admissions today

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest.