The Daily brief: July 12, 2011

July 12, 2011, 8:35 p.m.

Stanford Hospital full steam ahead | Palo Alto City Council approved Stanford Medical Center’s $5 billion hospital expansion project on Monday. The final vote was delayed after parents complained that the construction would put a Stanford day care center at risk. The day care will temporarily be relocated to a site on Stock Farm Road between Oak Road and Campus Drive West. The expansion proposal was in development for nearly four years.

Brainiacs | Stanford electrical engineering professor H.S. Philip Wong and his team have brought scientists closer to making real-time brain simulators. The team developed a nanoelectronic device that imitates the neurological signaling mechanism of synapses in the brain.

Foothill expansion| Foothill-De Anza Community College remains unable to purchase an eight-acre property from Palo Alto to build a new education center after two consecutive City Council meetings that denied the sale.

Overheard |“I went to the library [in Lebanon]. They had a Stanford catalog. I looked at the pictures – looked like a nice place” — human biology professor emeritus Herant Katchadourian on coming to work at Stanford. Katchadourian is part of Autobiographical Reflections, a lecture series the Faculty Senate launched in 2006 that has now reached iTunes.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest.

Toggle Dark Mode Toggle Dark Mode
Toggle Large Font Size Toggle Font Size

Apply to The Daily's High School Summer Program

Applications Due Soon